12/04/2014

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR ALL, THE MUSKETEERS CHARMED US ALL

Luke Pasqualino & Howard Charles on set for series 2
Sorry for the silly rhyme but isn't that true? Those four charming guys with their swords, leather-clad looks, stilish beards and moustache have conquered us all: women and men, children and grown up. BBC The Musketeers series 1 has recently wrapped up with a very positive outcome, both high viewing figures and enthusiastic acknowledgements rewarded production, cast and crew for their good job. 
Luke Pasqualino (D'Artagnan), Santiago Cabrera (Aramis), Tom Burke (Athos) and Howard Charles (Porthos) are back on set in Prague these days , shooting series two, with Tamla Kari (Constance),  Maimie McCoy (Milady), Alexandra Dowling (Queen Ann), Ryan Gage (King Louis) and Hugo Speer (Captain Treville). We won't see Cardinal Richelieu back at court apparently, since Peter Capaldi has started shooting Doctor Who new adventures.



Tamla Kari and Luke Pasqualino as Constance and D'artagnan
What is it that I particularly liked in this new retelling of Alexander Dumas's classic adventures? There's so much diverting stuff in BBC1's adaptation of The Musketeers that  I don't know what to start with! Action, adventure, romance, great locations, great costumes, cast's gorgeousness, convincing performances, great stunts and,  above all,  comedy. 

What I especially loved was the light-hearted, ironic tone. The musketeers never take themselves or their tough lives too seriously. Swashbuckling is what they are great at, after all. However, when they draw their swords,  fun is only a secondary outcome:  the king's musketeers are definitely fighting  to defend honour. 

I didn't expect to like this series so much, honestly. I started watching it out of curiosity since I can't resist period or costume drama. But once I started, I had to remove several old prejudices, I mean,  boys' stuff, boring stuff, chauvinistic stuff. 

I had never watched any series based on Dumas's novels only a couple of movies and didn't like them so much.  The answer to my doubting "why do BBC need to remake this old classic?" is now, because they made it great fun! So for the first time in my life, I felt sympathy for Dumas's old characters. Chauvinistic? And what about Milady and Constance, then? Boys' stuff? And what about those great love stories and all those charming male characters? (Athos and Milady, Constance and D'Artagnan, Aramis and ... well... Aramis, period) 

Honestly, I've never liked them much before. Something must have worked better this time. Or I'm simply going mild in my old age?  No matter what, now.  I can tell I'm eagerly looking forward to series 2. Points for smartness, BBC One! Thanks again, for winning me over. Yes, it's not the first time.


For news, pics  and updates from the set of series two
follow BBC One on facebook or twitter




The Musketeers series 1 is now available on DVD at BBC shop or amazon.UK (region 2)

Series 1 will premiere on BBC America on Sunday June 22nd! 

3 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

can't wait until 6/22

JaneGS said...

I, on the other hand, have been waiting for this forever, it seems. I loved the movie that came out when I was a kid with Michael York as D'Artagnon and Faye Dunaway as Milady. High time we had a mini-series. Can't wait to watch it this summer with my daughters, who both want to name their first-born sons D'Artagnon :)

They are charming!

Maria Grazia said...

I hope you both, dstoutholcomb and JaneGS, will like this series as much as I did. It's been such great fun to follow The Musketeers's adventures! My husband liked it too.
Are you really going to be D'Artagnan's granny, Jane? Two of them? You may get often worried, he happens to be often in troubles. But he is such a charming character. Well, as you wrote, all of them are!