19/01/2012

MY LESSONS ON NORTH AND SOUTH - IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN

It's that time of the year again, when in my lessons to my older students in their  final year at school, I introduce the Victorian Age and read pages from novels I deeply love. This year I've decided to work on short module dedicated to the Industrial Novel (or social-issue novel) including Elizabeth Gaskell's Mary Barton and North and South, Charlotte Bronte's Shirley and Charles Dickens's Hard Times.
I've posted two lessons with notes, videos and analysis about North and South in the latest days and we have worked in the lab with two of my classes.
They seemed quite interested, the reactions were warmly positive. They particularly appreciated my visual aids: clips from BBC series with Mr Armitage and Ms Denby-Ashe. Now these materials (links below) should help them to study and revise at home. If you want to have a look, promise, no tests for you!


1. Elizabeth Gaskell and the Industrial Novel: Mary Barton (1848) 
2Studying and Watching North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (1855)
3. Masters & Workers. Mr Thornton and Nicholas Higgins, the ideal relationship according to Mrs Gaskell

3 comments:

academia research said...

very good post! need to say you did a great job and i really appreciate it!

academia-research.com said...

Good post and a fantastic read. You have raised some valid points. Great work, keep it up. I love returning back to this site and reading the quality content you always have on offer.

Becky said...

ALways loved Shirley. I've always thought BBC/Masterpiece should consider it.