05/09/2011

PERIOD DRAMA WEEK - QUESTIONS PART I


Welcome to Period Drama Week! From September 4 - 10, Elegance of Fashion will be celebrating period dramas. For each day of the week, there will be a special post related to Period Dramas. There will be games to participate in and interesting posts for you to read! Follow the link and check the schedule. 
I've decided to take part in the fun and answer the questions in the Period Drama Week Tag. Today is only Part I , questions 1/10. Are you ready? Do you want to answer the questions too on your blog? Just do it and let us know!




Period Drama Week  - Questions  Part I

How did you get into period dramas?
It’s not an old hobby of mine. Actually I disdained watching adaptations of classics at first, preferring reading them. Then I started watching BBC classic drama series in the original language (Our Mutual Friend was my first) and … I couldn’t stop. Now I’ve seen so many! And I love collecting DVDs.

What is it that you like about period dramas?
The charm of past times and the possibility of virtually travelling back through the centuries.

Do you usually read a book and then watch the adaptation or do you watch the adaptation and then read the book?
I’ve done both . But I’ve even done what I know is terribly wrong but … time! I’m always lacking spare time to read and watch the many things I would like to, so … I watched some series without reading the book they were based on.

What are your top three period dramas and why?

1. North and South because it is one of the best adaptations I’ve ever seen and because watching it meant so much to me. A turning point in my life. My regulars readers know what I mean. Just have a look around my blog: Mr Thornton and so many unforgettable beautiful scenes! And, last but not least, one of the most romantic endings.


 2. The Buccaneers . I love Edith Wharton’s novels ( The Age of Innocence!)  and this unfinished one had a brilliant adaptation in 1995. I love the plot, the characters, the setting, the cast, the costumes.


 3.Daniel Deronda . I also appreciate George Eliot’s work a lot and I find this one was a very brave novel  to be  published in the Victorian Age. This BBC adaptation is exceptionally good. It stars Hugh Dancy, Romola Garai, Hugh Bonneville, Jodhi May, Amanda Root, Jamie Bamber among many others.




From those three period dramas that you picked, who are your favorite characters in each one?
Mr Thornton,  Nan, Daniel Deronda

Which author do you like the adaptations of his/her works best?


I love Austen adaptations very much. Since I haven’t mentioned her before and she definitely deserves mentioning. So,  here I am: JANE AUSTEN!
 
Which period drama characters are the funniest to you ?
I love Austen comic characters: Mrs Bennet, Miss Bates, Mr Woodhouse and …ehm … hope she doesn’t get offended, a grand lady like her could … Lady Catherine De Bourgh. I find her extremely funny in her pomp.

Which period drama characters are the most annoying ?
I hate  arch-villains like Urahia Heep in David Copperfield,  Henleigh Grandcourt in Daniel Deronda or Mr Ralph Nickleby in Nicholas Nickleby.

Which period drama characters are in your top three?
Mr Thornton, Captain Wentworth, Mr Knightley


When you watch period dramas, what is it that you pay the closest attention to?
Scenery, costumes, changes from the book, characterization.

More about Period drama soon!




6 comments:

Jenny Allworthy said...

Mmmmmmm.....sorry, just loving those last three photos. Mr. Thornton (as played by Richard Armitage) is sex in a cravat. The others aren't bad either!

Thanks for the insight into your love of period drama. I would agree with everything you say here. And the costumes in both The Buccaneers and Daniel Deronda are breathtaking. Victorian dresses at their best. Of course the stories are brilliant too!

Anonymous said...

Hello Maria Grazia!

I love period drama! If the story has crinolines and corsets, strong woman and strong men, and a deep and passionate love between the lead male and female characters, I like it.

Not only did Jane Austen single handedly reinvent the novel, she reinvented how women were viewed in society by drawing attention to the inequities of women's status in the law--end tails, inheritance rules, luck of birth vs personal creativity and perserverance--Jane Austen was fearless.

And I'm a huge Edith Wharton fan--loved The Buccaneers adaption, and Age of Innocence the film was so faithful to the book. The intricacies of social class and customs seem arcane and unthinkable in our modern world--until we look around and see people who are still not on the "inside".

Perhaps the greatest lesson I take from these historical novels and films is that love transcends class, wealth, circumstance, and opportunities. That with love, you can truly conquer all to use the trite, but true phrase.

Thanks for having a wonderful blog!

Cheers! Gratiana ;->

Anonymous said...

Great post! I guess I'm relatively new at the period drama. it's only been the past 6 or 7 years for the most part. North and South is my all time favorite. I do love the Austen adaptations. Some of the Jane Eyre ones aren't too bad either. I think Toby Stephens does a fine job. I also prefer to read them. Sometimes I read them first and sometimes it's the other way around. No rhyme or reason I guess. Suzan

Phylly3 said...

Love this post! You know I've just recently watched Daniel Deronda and The Buccaneers thanks to Netflix. I enjoyed both very much.
Of course you should know how fond I am of Jane Austen adaptations and as for North and South, well.. that goes without saying!

Claudia said...

I didn't know they've made an adaptation from The Buccaneers. I love Edith Wharton's novels too, and The Age Of Innocence is one of my favourite books of the last years. Even the movie is one of most elegant I've ever seen. Gorgeous pictures, thank you MG!

online academic freelance writing sites said...

That article is so interesting and makes a very nice image in my mind. Thank you for sharing this info with us!